3/23/2014

Silver Thorns Single Card Reviews, Tips, and stuff like that

      I decided to make a brief introduction on the details of silver thorn cards after finding myself often revisiting cards after jumping and testing builds after builds. Due to the nature of Pale Moon having very open-ended and flexible effects to the point that it's easier to make misplays than to optimally use stuff if you're not 100% sure with what you are doing, it'd be nice to have an archive, or encyclopedia-kind of page for myself as references.

   There's also the reason that I recently saw certain websites and people giving out flat-out wrong information about Silver Thorn cards, making horrid reviews on cards, and plaguing players with incorrect information (eg. 13k body is irrelevant). I don't exactly want to reveal names, but those that know it will know which site and community I am talking about. While they may try to back their findings with science and math, they refuse to acknowledge their biases and flaws in their methods, as well as deriving flawed conclusions from their data due to said biases and bad assumptions (eg. assuming a deck to be perfect when it's testing between bad decks, 12 crits for nearly any deck recipe, etc). They also fail to recognize how different their method is to the real world, and hence their results may be true, it only holds true under their own biased little setting, and believes what happens within their own setting holds true to beyond their own space in the real world where things are vastly different from their setting. Having coming from a fairly heavy science and statistics background, I can say for sure that this is an absolute no-no in science.

   And don't get me wrong, people make mistakes and have flawed experiments and methods, and that is okay. That's how you refine your methods and improve, and establish better and improving experiments in the future. Even in statistics, it's hard to completely avoid biases for things like surveys. What you do is you try your best in avoiding or overcoming such within your power and budget, but recognize that your results may be biased due to whatever bias it potentially have. What is not okay is when one refuses to recognize it and remains adamant and believe that what they have is right because it's backed by science and math (it is not). There is a reason why for scientific papers and experiments, you need to clearly list your materials and methods as well as all data, so others reading it can replicate the experiment themselves, as well see any potential flaws.

   I've always hated those that spread myths and wrong information on the net, because I've been bitten by those things IRL. It's unfortunate that such thing exists not only for card games but for many things in life as well. But hey, that's the internet.

   With that being said, if any of you reading my stuff and find that I'm spreading cancer and writing carcinogenic articles, please let me know and leave a comment/message me etc, as well as why something is wrong. Obviously this doesn't mean I'll accept and agree with everything you write to me, but as I do with most other things in life, I'll read and take in the information with a grain of salt, and if it makes logical sense or is proven, accept it to a certain degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Feel free to ask or share!